One of the most critical steps in deciding to go with a franchisor are the franchise validation calls. This is when you find out the good, the bad, and the ugly - the real dirt or pots of gold with this franchisor. You want raw, unvarnished input from current and past owners of the franchise system you are about to choose.
You don't want to relay on just the names of franchise owners the franchisor provides, seek out other franchise owners on your own. Those you find on your own will likely be most forth coming on both the good and bad. If you can find past owners too, you may discover things you'd not find out otherwise.
Best Questions to Ask on Franchise Validation Calls
Of dozens of questions you can ask, here are eight that will tell you the most about the franchisor and what you can expect once you become a franchise owner.
- Have your financial expectations been realized that you originally planned? Why or why not?
- What things have you seen that separates higher versus lower performers in your franchise system?
- Why did you choose this franchise over others?
- Was the initial support through launch what you expected? Why or why not?
- Has the ongoing support what you expected? Why or why not?
- What, if any, unexpected surprises occurred, good or bad?
- What level of flexibility has the franchisor given franchise owners over decision making?
- All things considered, if you had it to do over, would you have chosen this franchisor? Why or why not?
Need More Help With Franchise Validation Questions
Looking for more questions you can ask, is a document that provides over 50 sample franchise validation questions.